Monday, November 9, 2009

Energy Usage

I live in an apartment with my two best friends, we have so many different point of views when it comes to lots of things. But, one thing that we seem to agree on is the fact that our electricity bill is way too much every month. On average, we pay about $125 every month for electricity, we barely cook at the house, and all our clothes are taken to the dry cleaning place. So, what is making our bill skyrock so high every month? I looked around the house one day and found out that most of our home electronics stayed plugged all the time even though they were only being used once a week.

I live in Naples, very close to Exit 101. On an average day, I travel to and from work for a total of 30 miles. I also drive to and from school, for about 50 miles. And often, I would go to the gym, which is about 12 miles away from my house, so that's 24 miles. That is over 100 miles of traveling every day, and I don't drive one of those fuel economy cars, I drive a 2002 Chevy Impala with a V6 engine. The only times I'm accompanied by a person is when I go to the gym, one of my friends actually go with me.

According to www.fueleconomy.com, my carbon emission is 12.2, and I use 22.8 barrels of fuel every year. I wish I could carpool with coworkers, and classmates so I could reduce my carbon footprint, but the fact that the world works on schedules does not leave me with too many choices. Every night, before I go to sleep, I unplug everything that doesn't need to stay plugged, I unplug my cellphone charger before I leave the house, and we had about 8 of those plug-in air fresheners, I unplugged all of them, and went and bought the ones that don't need to be plugged. It's a slow process, but eventually I will get to that sustainability status.

No comments:

Post a Comment